We recently shared some highlights of an interior renovation project completed by JLJ in 2019. This month, we’re highlighting a recent project that faced several challenges, including the COVID-19 pandemic. Beginning in March 2020, the Jerry L. Johnson team was tasked with a complete demolition and rebuild of 80,000 square feet of multi-tenant retail showrooms in Atlanta, Georgia. At the time of the project, there were two tenants occupying the floor representing different lines of products.
The onset of COVID-19 led to a variety of challenges and issues that impacted the timeline of the project, including:
- Several product lines backed out due to COVID, requiring us to redesign the spaces they occupied
- Necessary permits were delayed for over 2 months due to the closure of Atlanta City Hall
- Inspectors were delayed visiting job sites as the City of Atlanta was forced to redesign their inspection system for maximum safety during COVID
- Several suppliers faced their own COVID-related issues, including having to quarantine their own teams for 2 weeks
- Many necessary materials were unavailable due to shipping issues
- Accessing the job site became a challenge due to protests at Centennial Park
These challenges caused a significant delay and forced us to revise plans as well as the contract. However, our team persevered and was able to successfully complete the project in August 2020. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can also learn more about JLJ and COVID-19, including its impact on our services as well as our commitment to the Georgia Safety Promise during this difficult time.
At Jerry L. Johnson & Associates, we offer industry-leading general contracting services for a variety of industries, including commercial, industrial, parks and recreation, and data centers. We specialize in providing upgrades and renovations to critical facilities, such as data centers and telecommunications, and have provided our services throughout the Southeastern U.S. and beyond.